
Our Family Home Evening this week was inspired by Aubrey telling me earlier in the day that Steve and I have round tummies and that we should have 'flat' tummies. (We think so too, its just not that easy to wish them flat at this age.) After a moment of guilt, anger, and embarassment I thought to myself, "Maybe she doesn't realize that being fat has a negative connotation but she is just stating a fact". The Chinese people used to say "You are fat" all the time but to the Chinese it is just like saying, "You have blonde hair", it is just a statement of fact. So I asked Aubrey if being skinny/fat was bad or good. Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that my five year old is well versed in the doctrine of today's tabeloids. She is not even the little bit of Chinese that I would have wished. So after spewing off something about eating so that we are healthy and making sure that we are active, and well-after dropping her off, I was still stewing about it. A little later I came to the conclusion that this might be the opportunity to teach the children that it's not what is outside but what is inside that counts. And that goes for all types of appearances. I found the "Loving your Neighbor" lesson in the Family Home Evening manual and then was reminded of a song from a Strawberry Shortcake episode that we have recorded. The girls in the episode are playing dress-ups and put on the play "Strawberella". I will share the words of the final song. Perhaps you would like to use them. I think they are inspiring. It turned out to be a great lesson for our family.
You are not your clothes,
You are not your hair,
You are not the dress
that your mother made you wear.
You are not your hair,
You are not the dress
that your mother made you wear.
Rich or even poor
I couldn't really care
You're simply beautiful you.
You could be a prince
with the finest clothes,
But it wouldn't make you any nicer...I suppose.
If you looked down on us
While turning up your nose
You would not be beautiful you.
It's not how much you sparkle,
That makes you like a star.
It's what's inside your heart,
That tell you who you are.
Clothes don't make the kid,
It's the other way around
This is what I've finally found
That it's not about the way you look
It's about the things you do,
That makes you beautiful you
I am not my clothes,
and I am not my crown.
And I am not my rags,
'Cause in my heart I wear a gown.
So let's go out and play
like we've never had a care,
About the things we think
we're supposed to wear
'Cause it's not the way you look,
It's the things you say and do
That make you beautiful,
That make you beautiful,
That make you beautiful..you!
I couldn't really care
You're simply beautiful you.
You could be a prince
with the finest clothes,
But it wouldn't make you any nicer...I suppose.
If you looked down on us
While turning up your nose
You would not be beautiful you.
It's not how much you sparkle,
That makes you like a star.
It's what's inside your heart,
That tell you who you are.
Clothes don't make the kid,
It's the other way around
This is what I've finally found
That it's not about the way you look
It's about the things you do,
That makes you beautiful you
I am not my clothes,
and I am not my crown.
And I am not my rags,
'Cause in my heart I wear a gown.
So let's go out and play
like we've never had a care,
About the things we think
we're supposed to wear
'Cause it's not the way you look,
It's the things you say and do
That make you beautiful,
That make you beautiful,
That make you beautiful..you!
5 comments:
Wow, what a perfect song to go with that lesson! You must have been inspired. :)
I love it! What a good lesson to teach your kids. Lauren needs to watch more Strawberry Shortcake I think! And, by the way, I think you're beautiful!
Love it! What Strawberry Shortcake one is that??
GREAT GREAT stuff! I have to share this too with the family!
love the song and the message! Nick (age 7) has already been talking about "calories" in food...I don't count them or talk about them, so I'm wondering about that. We do talk about reading labels and what we are putting in our bodies though, and it is helping curb sugar-fests and trans fat foods at home. One classic was Nick saying, "Mom, since water has no calories and can't give us any energy, why should we drink 89 gulps a day?"
Post a Comment