We have shared this story with many people and it makes me laugh so much that I wanted to add it for Rachel. (This is Steve typing.) I remember seeing this beautiful, spiritually mature woman entering a committee meeting where I was serving with other men. This woman sits down and begins to question everything we were doing...gosh, I was in love. So I cozied up to her, got to know her then popped the question..."Rachel, I really like you and I'd like to get to know you better. Would you like to go on a date with me some time?" Of course, I was looking for a yes or a no, instead she said, "Thank you!" What was I supposed to do with thank you? Is that a yes? Is it a no? I had no idea! So I clarified if that meant yes, and she confirmed it did.
Being a graduate of the California Public Schools (interesting it has the same initials as the California Penal System...coincidence?) I was well edumicated on geography and I knew Rach had go to the Orient on her mission. Wanting to make a lasting impression I endeavored to take her to Benihana's on our first date. There we were, enjoying the fun environment, flipping shrimp tails, etc, and I glance down at the menu. I ask, "Rachel, can you read these characters on the menu?" She says she might be able to figure them out. I smile, smugly, and then ask, "Isn't this nice?" She says it is fine. "You know, a Japanese Steakhouse?" Her smile fades ever so slightly...I am losing her, so I point out the obvious, "You know, because of your mission to Hong Kong?" Her face goes blank, then it sets in..."Steve, Hong Kong is in China, not Japan."
We didn't go out again for over a month!
I am glad she gave me another chance, I am the luckiest guy on earth. I remember my dad telling me, "Son, it looks like you are marrying up!" I smiled. Then I shared that story with Rachel's parents just before we were married, and her mother said, "You dad was right, you are marrying up!" Well, they were both right. And I have been blessed every day since.
I love you, Rach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Amen brother!
Married up and moved away so you could have here all to yourself. Not fair
Post a Comment