Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Late night thinking...

In the pre-dawn hours of today I came back to my bed, after feeding the baby, to find that Hayden had taken my warm-spot. After trying to push and pull him out of my divet with no luck I was left to cuddle around him on the small wedge of bed that he so graciously left me. As usual for me, at that time of morning with things so unnaturally quiet, I cannot get my mind to stop thinking. My thoughts are louder than ever and I start having practice arguments with Steve, debates with the attorney general, or tirades with Oprah. This morning I was trying to think up more witty retorts to my most commonly heard comment, "Are they all yours?!" I've only come up with a few. How about : "No, actually they are all my husbands'" (but that one might be taken the wrong way); or "Actually my sister died and left me all her kids - but thanks for bringing that up"; or " No, I run my own daycare and we are having a field trip"; even "Well yes, I'm making my own clone army." Obviously I could use some help. My second favorite comment is "Boy, you have your hands full" . Now this comment just drives me crazy. It is neither positive or negative. What exactly are you trying to say? Am I just too much of a woman and must think that people have some actually meaning as to why they say things, or shall I just think of it like a man and realize they probably didn't mean anything by it. (One of Steve and my favorite Jerry Seinfeld quotes: "Women, do you want to know what men are really thinking? I'll tell you......Nothing.) So maybe its a little of both. Maybe from now on if its a woman that says, "boy, you have your hands full" I'll assume she is thinking, "my goodness are you making a clone army of yourself, woman?!?" and if it is a guy I will just assume he was just saying, "Hmmm, her hands look full."

1 comment:

becca said...

Rachel, I had to chuckle over this post... it is all too true! How many times even in one single day do I hear one of these two comments! And you are right... what DOES that whole "boy you have your hands full" comment insinuate!? I have not figured it out! But I do know one thing for sure... now I stand taller when people talk about "All" our kids and I look them in the eye and just start into the bragging! I just brag and brag and brag about how awesome each one is! Usually shuts them right up! :)